How Safe is Jacksonville?

The Navigator

Photo Courtesy of Grace Singer

As the crime rates in their neighborhoods continue to increase, residents of Jacksonville are beginning to question the safety of their city.

Statistics suggest that violent crime in Jacksonville increased from 2006 to 2007, although violent crime across the country decreased.  According to First Coast News,  reports of violent crime (such as murders, rapes and robberies) increased by over 22 percent from 2006 to 2007 in Jacksonville.

At Jacksonville University, there have been 5 cases of thefts, 7 cases of alcohol violation and 2 cases of criminal mischief in 2010 alone, according to the 2010 daily crime log.

“It is now becoming essential for all the students to keep alert all the time. As these cases become more and more common there are few cautions that most students, including me, have started taking, like not going out alone in the dark,” said freshman Arelis Resto.

“People are as safe as they want to be. It is essential that people follow their common sense. We try to educate people and teach them what they can do to keep their stuff from being stolen. Don’t leave your things unattended in public areas. Don’t travel after dark by yourself either on campus or anywhere in the community,” said Michael Kanaby, director of Jacksonville University Campus security.

Duval County has led the state’s largest counties in murder rate for the last 11 years in a row. Jacksonville alone has recorded 31 murders this year. Even a single murder puts the community to shame. But, if this statistics hold or decrease for this year, our community would have had the fewest number of murders in at least four decades, according to the Florida Times Union. But it is still too soon to say whether or not we will be able to beat the record.