JU Athletics Weekly Wrap-Up

Womens’ Golf vs UNF

Photo Courtesy of: JU Dolphins Athletics

On Sept. 3, the Jacksonville University women’s golf team played 18 holes against in-town rival the University of North Florida at the Tournament Player’s Championship Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.

JU marked up a 3-3 tie against North Florida in the couples tournament and stroked up a 6-5 lead later in the singles.

Teeing off in the morning on the front nine of Dye’s Valley, UNF took a 2-1 lead with the alternate shot style. Wasting no time in getting started on the back nine of the course, the switch to best ball suited JU well, as the Dolphins responded by winning two of the three available points, according to judolphins.com.

Natalie Schmett etched the first point of the afternoon on the board with a 5-3 victory over Emelie Alpe. Schmett was three-under on the front nine and had little trouble securing the victory on the back. Off the tee at the same time, Morgan Matchett was locked into a more difficult battle with Kelly Aylwin, but the JU newcomer won the 13th, 14th, and 16th holes to turn a match that was all even through 12 into a 3-2 success.

Even still, UNF came back to tie the event with a 3-2 win of their own. With everything still up in the air, play would be suspended due to lightning strikes in the area.

The Dolphins are to play in two weeks, competing in the Minnesota Invitational.

Women’s Volleyball vs Charleston Southern

The Dolphin volleyball team improved to 4-0 last Thursday as they went up against Charleston Southern inside the Swisher Gym.

The first home game for the Dolphins tipped of at 7 p.m. with a packed crowd, including some of our other own student athletes.

“It was great seeing a lot of our student-athletes here supporting us in our first home match,” said Michelle Collier, head coach. “In the beginning of the match we said no one was going to outwork us on our home court and I think we played really hard and deserved the win.”

Playing hard was exactly what the Dolphins did, recording a .483 hitting percentage in only 3 sets to win the match.

Key plays that set the pace for much of the night belonged to Kylie Jacob, Emily Laskelle, and Gabriela Roman contributing five kills each. Taylor Nyquist also made an impact finishing with 10 kills.

The Dolphins look continue their good play throughout the weekend matching up against Mississippi Valley State and Florida Atlantic on Sept. 7.

Women’s Soccer vs UGA

JU women’s soccer team fell to the University of Georgia in a heated overtime battle this past Friday in Athens, Ga.

In 99 minutes the Dolphins had many problems but a point wasn’t one, until the Georgia Bulldogs kicked through the 0-0 tie with an overtime goal, ending the match 1-0.

Though the Bulldogs outshot JU 26-9 on the night, the Dolphins (2-2-0) didn’t go without their chances, according to judolphins.com. A cross from Adriana Rodrigues came in to Sarah Moghadas late in the first half for the best scoring opportunity of the match up to that point, but the shot sailed high and kept the match scoreless at the break.

The Dolphins, though scoreless, were not without spirit and drive as they continued to press harder towards a goal.

“I’m extremely proud of the fight and intensity we played with tonight,” said Brian Copham, head coach. “We matched up with a very good Georgia team and we responded extremely well to playing a team of this caliber. Despite the loss, there are a number of positives that we can take out of tonight. I hope we can take those things and continue to match tonight’s intensity on Sunday and in the weeks ahead.”

JU will try to pick things up as the team visits Georgia State Sept. 8, the last opponent of the weekend.

JU Football vs J’ville State

Photo Courtesy of: JU Dolphins

The Dolphins football team recorded it’s second loss of the season as Jacksonville State ran through JU 48-13 last Saturday at Burgess-Snow Field.

JU allowed their opponent to take a lead in the second quarter, according to judolphins.com. Jacksonville State’s Troymaine Pope scored two touchdowns giving the Gamecocks a 14-7 lead near the end of the first half.

JU kicked in 3 points by Dylan Lynch at half time leaving the score 14-10 but the Dolphins quickly unraveled as the Gamecocks outscored them 24-0 in the third quarter alone.

JSU was not done, that momentum carried on as the Gamecocks scored on their first few possession in the second half to build a 38-10 lead and take advantage of the game. Included in the 17-0 spurt was a 70-yard interception return for a touchdown.

The Dolphins play Morehead State next Saturday at 1 p.m. at D.B. Milne Field.

Volleyball vs Mississippi Valley and FAU

A double header for the Dolphin volleyball team ended in double victories as they beat Mississippi Valley State and Florida Atlantic this past Saturday in the Swisher Gym.

The Jacksonville University volleyball team continued its torrid start to the 2013 season, winning two more matches on Saturday to improve to 6-0 on the season, according to judolphins.com

The first of the two matches started at 10 a.m. against Mississippi Valley as they fell to the Dolphins in a 3-0 series.

Kylie Jacob ended up with a match high 12 kills along with an impressive .625 hitting percentage.

The second match began at 6 p.m. against Florida Atlantic with a closer match series of 3-1 in favor of the Dolphins.

Gabriela Roman was the notable name of the night as she led her team to a comeback victory with an offensive advantage batting in a total of 14 kills.

The Dolphins are set to face three teams this upcoming weekend in the FIU Invitational.

Women’s soccer @ Georgia State

After falling to Georgia the JU women’s soccer team snagged a win at Georgia State last Sunday before returning home to Jacksonville.

Scoring the first and final goal of the game the Dolphins took care of the remainder with quality defense.

“The credit really goes to our defense today,” Copham said.” It was a team effort and everyone played well in that aspect of the game.”

As the half moved along overtime seemed to be a likely possibility for the two teams with the score still 1-0, but with Dolphin Sarah Sierra making saves the outcome would stay in favor for JU.

“We put six backs in at different points and they stayed well-organized and limited Georgia State’s dangerous chances throughout the contest,” Copham said. “Sarah (Sierra) came up with some great saves and dealt with some dangerous crosses as well.”

With a loss and a win in the state of Georgia, the Dolphins look to end their record against Georgia teams on a good note as they face Georgia Southern on Sept. 13.