Alvin Brown: Mayor of Jacksonville & JU Alumnus.

Dear Students:

It’s my honor to welcome you to the 2013-14 academic year at Jacksonville University. As a JU alum, former staff member and trustee, I take great pride in the university’s contributions to our community and I am excited to know that so many students are arriving on campus to take part in JU’s tradition of excellence.

Embrace this opportunity, not just for a university degree but also to refine your talents and fully develop your passion to make a mark on the world. Your studies here can and will take you anywhere. JU claims as alumni some of our nation’s most accomplished professionals. As students, you carry on the spirit and hard work of alums such as former U.S. Comptroller General David M. Walker, NBA Hall-of-Famer Artis Gilmore, and former U.S. Attorney Paul Perez. JU graduates never half-step. We go out into the world to achieve.

My JU experience nurtured my sense of leadership and taught me the incredible value of giving back to the community. To this day, I still consider Dr. Frances Bartlett Kinne, who led JU when I was a student, both a mentor and personal hero. She was not only the first woman to be a university president in Florida; she was also an indispensable presence of goodwill whose open-door policy on campus kept me focused on the bigger picture. To get where I wanted to go, I needed to put in the hard work.

You will experience firsthand that this university attracts some of the finest students and most qualified instructors in America. Always in a state of positive growth, much has changed on campus since my days as a student. JU offers top programs in aviation and nursing, as well as a state of the art Marine Science Research Institute. The university’s investments have come to life in many ways to set higher standards for higher education in Northeast Florida. This is about much more than one campus. It’s about building a proving ground to turn the students on campus today into the visionary leaders of tomorrow.

You must let your biggest dreams fuel the engine of your actions. Continue to study hard. Look deep within yourself. Find your passion to develop your purpose and expose your true power to go out and achieve. Go Dolphins!

Sincerely,

Alvin Brown, Class of ’85, ‘89

Mayor