Bears No Match for Dolphins, JU Wins Three

The JU softball team traveled to Macon, Ga., Easter weekend for a three-game series with the Mercer Bears.

The Dolphins started off hot with a sweep of the Friday double-header, shutting out the Bears in both contests.

In game one, freshman Cecile Gomez continued her dominant performance in the circle allowing just two hits in six innings to go along with four strikeouts on the way to an 8-0 victory.

Before Gomez even stepped foot in the circle, she was handed a three-run lead by her offense in the top half of the first.

Senior Sarah Simon opened up the scoring with a two-run home run, her twelfth big fly of the season. Sophomore Ashley Simon doubled and came around to score on an error by the Mercer defense.

The Dolphins added two more runs in the top half of the fifth inning as Ashley Simon sent a two-run home run of her own over the left field wall. The game came to an end an inning early as the Dolphins would add three more runs in the sixth to cap off the 8-0 win.

In game two, not much changed for either team. Senior Dale Tillman got the nod in the circle for JU and went seven strong innings, giving up just six hits and zero runs as the Dolphins pulled out a 6-0 victory.

Following a leadoff single by freshman Victoria Brown, junior Codi Kelly tripled, scoring Brown from first to give JU the early 1-0 lead.

Juniors Jacey Warner and Karson Tuck added to the lead in the second and third innings. Warner had an RBI single in the second and Tuck added an RBI double in the third.

Sarah Simon dialed up the long ball for her second of the day to lead off the fifth. Ashley Simon then doubled to left, bringing Tuck to the plate who sent the offering over the left field wall for a two-run home run, her second and third RBIs of the game.

In game three of the series on Saturday, the offense and pitching continued their strong play on the way to a series sweep with an 11-1 victory over Mercer.

Freshmen Victoria Brown, Cecile Gomez and Taylor Rossman combined to hold the Bears to just one run on three hits over five innings.

In the top of the first, Tuck continued her hot hitting along with Meagan Balding, who both notched bases-loaded singles, plating three runs for an early 3-0 lead. A walk and a double by Ashley Simon helped get the third inning going for JU. Tuck then tripled, clearing the bases and adding two more runs. Tuck then scored on a groundout putting JU up 6-1.

The Dolphins added four more runs in the fourth off of a sacrifice fly and a pair of RBI singles. The game came to an end on a solo home run by Codi Kelly in the top of the fifth as JU closed out the weekend with an 11-1 win.

The Dolphins face Bethune-Cookman on Wednesday before traveling to Highland Heights, Ky. to take on Northern Kentucky.