Power Surge Lifts JU Past Elon

The softball team welcomed the Elon Phoenix to the JU Softball Complex on Tuesday for a mid-week, out of conference double-header after dropping two games over the weekend to USC Upstate.
The Dolphins jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a leadoff homerun from Victoria Brown and an RBI single from Ashley Simon.
The Phoenix would tie the game before JU ran away with game one, 7-2, following shut down pitching and fielding from Cecile Gomez and the Dolphin defense.
In game two, the Dolphins’ power showed up as they belted three home runs on their way to an 11-1 victory.
Dale Tillman was in the circle for JU, going five innings and allowing just one run while striking out four.
After falling behind 1-0 in the top of the first, Ashley Simon and Karson Tuck hit back-to-back homeruns on the way to a 4-1 advantage. The Dolphins added two more runs in the second making their lead 6-1.
Following a Meagan Balding homerun, JU strung together four singles in the inning, scoring three more for a 9-1 lead at the end of three.
The Dolphins would add two more runs putting the game out of reach and ending the contest.
Next up, the ‘Fins travel to Macon, Ga., to take on the Mercer Bears in A-Sun play this weekend.