Florida Geogia Line Cruises to JU

Dolphin Productions has done it once again. They have brought JU together as a community for the concert of Florida Georgia Line, making their JU debut  on March 7.

Florida Georgia Line is a country duo made up of Brian Kelley and Tyler Hubbard. Although the duo is relatively new to the music scene, their single, “Cruise” hit the top 10 in just 14 weeks after its release, making it the fastest debut to climb the charts since 1991.

After the duo sold nearly 200,000 digital downloads independently, they were signed to record label Republic Nashville, and their first album, “Here’s to the Good Times” began to be sold in stores. Now they are making their way to JU for the biggest performance that the Larry Strom Amphitheater has had yet.

“A survey was given out to the students to see what type of performer they would like to see,” said Kim Mak, Music Coordinator for Dolphin Productions. “We used that information to make our decision on who should come perform and we came up with Florida Georgia Line.”

The survey was the easy part, Mak said.

“The process took about 3 months of contracting and working with JU lawyers and the artist’s lawyers,” Mak said. “Thankfully all of the contracting is done now and we can focus on promoting the band.”

Some of the promotions that Dolphin Productions used to hype up the concert were handing out flyers during lunch, having free ice cream on campus and working with Sodexo to hold a country-themed lunch in the Riverview Café.

“We really wanted everyone to get excited about the concert even if they aren’t necessarily country fans,” Mak said. “The windows in Nellie’s are decorated and the event in the café really got people excited. I saw some of the posts on Facebook about the food and the concert already so we know our tactics are working.”

Mak said the Davis Students Commons are even shutting their doors early for the concert.

“We’re projecting somewhere near 1,000 people to come out for the concert,” Mak said. “It’s going to be a big event, but we’re ready.”

The first 200 students will receive a free pair of sunglasses, so if you’re looking for free giveaways and good country music, head down to the Larry Strom Amphitheater on Thursday, March 7, at 7 p.m.