Indoor Track Captures Eighth Straight Title.

Courtesy of JU Athletics

Winning a collegiate championship is in no way an easy task. Thus making eight in a row an accomplishment of epic proportions.
That is exactly what the JU indoor women’s track and field squad did this past weekend in Johnson City, Tennessee. They captured their eighth-straight Atlantic Sun conference title with a total of 173 points.
Following day 1 of the event, the Dolphins staked claim to a 10-point lead. On day 2, the Dolphin domination was back on track winning three events to go along with 15 all-conference performances. On the entire weekend, JU won five events and had 24 all-conference honorees.
“We are thankful for a hard fought victory,” said Ron Grigg, the Dolphin’s head coach. “Anyone who follows the conference closely knows that the level of competition is improving at a tremendous rate. We have an irreplaceable group of seniors who really embraced their leadership role, and have a talented group of underclassmen who have taken up the challenge of continuing to elevate our program.”
In the 800 meters, Bienna Freeman repeated as champion and set a meet record with a 2:09.92. Right behind her was teammate Joane Pierre finishing with a 2:11.89
Shanique Walker bested her school record and broke the meet record in the 60-meter hurdles with a 8.34. Finishing just behind her with all-conference honors was Petra Munkacsy with a time of 8.75. Walker also finished second in the triple jump with a 40-11-00.
The Dolphins also captured the 4×400 meter relay title led by Freeman who was accompanied by Shadaey Campbell, LaTonya Payne and Courtney Walker. The group also set a new meet record with their winning time of 3:45.49.
“We are also thankful for all of the support we receive from the university, the athletic department, our alumni, parents and boosters,” said Grigg. “I want to specially thank Rhi, Danielle and Thom. Their work in strength and conditioning, athletic training and massage therapy are integral in our success.”
With the indoor season behind them, JU will look to capture the title on the outdoor circle as well.