Career Expo Prepares Students For Success

Jacksonville University students found themselves dressing to a higher standard this past week as the fourth annual Career Expo took place on Wednesday, Feb. 13.

Fifty-five employers set up shop in the Wolfson Student Center and throughout the Kinne Center, as more than 250 JU students and alumni roamed the mini-job fair. Companies such as JetBlue, CSX Transportation, Verizon, American Red Cross and Baptist Health all sent representatives to scoop up JU students for their workforce.

Many fields were represented at the expo, including careers in public administration, finance, marine science, aviation, food service, healthcare and sales. More than 30 employers were explicitly recruiting students from all majors, and were happy to see bright students with good grades and a solid work ethic.

While the actual career expo took place on Wednesday, students were encouraged to prepare for the event well before with the Career Development Center’s “Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself” campaign. Each day had a different theme, all focused on bettering student’s presentation to the employers.

Monday was resume day. Students were encouraged to draft a resume or bring their current resume in to be tweaked and edited to a professional level. Tuesday was professional-dress day. A presentation was conducted instructing students of the proper attire to meet possible future employers.  Wednesday started to get into the nitty-gritty of the expo with “company logo day”. The goal of this day was to help students identify companies attending the Career Expo and to also learn that all majors were applicable to the expo. Many students learned a vital skill on Thursday, how to properly shake a hand. In addition to the ability to give a proper handshake, students were instructed in basic networking tips and tricks. The last day saw students looking to the future, with the employees of the career development center helping to educate students on what the next steps are after they talk to an employer or visit a career fair.

JU had more than 30 employers on campus to help educate students and more than 150 students stopped by the Career Development Center tables for information. Dillard’s participated on Tuesday for Professional Dress day and they brought four mannequins to demonstrate professional attire and even brought ties for students to practice.

“Practice, practice, practice!” said Jessica Swick of the Career Development Center. “Networking is a skill that students can and should learn about. Also, work on your Career Commercial, you want to express to employers why they should hire you. Please stop by the CDC and we can help you get prepared.”