Dolphins Blow Past San Diego State 15-5

Photo by George Wahl II

The Dolphins women’s lacrosse team defeated the Aztecs from San Diego State University this past Saturday, 15-5.
The JU offense was led by sophomore Taylor McCord who scored four goals on the day. Junior Morgan Derner added two goals of her own, helping the Dolphins cruise to their second win of 2013.
Despite a slow first half, JU was able to secure a 6-3 halftime lead after a free position goal from junior Kaitlin Stewart.
“We struggled to get into an offensive rhythm and had a few to many turnovers in the first half,” said JU Head Coach Mindy McCord. “San Diego State did a good job with their transition defense so they deserve some credit for causing some of our miscues. They certainly gave us a test.”
In the first few minutes of the second half, the Dolphins and Aztecs traded goals before JU went on a 7-0 scoring run. Leading 8-5 with 22 minutes to play, freshman Kelsey Wiglesworth scored the first goal of her collegiate career jumpstarting the 7-0 run.
Senior Amanda Hurley added two free position goals, bringing her total for the season to 10, which leads the team. Senior goalie Karli Tobin had 10 saves in the game, matching a season-high.
Next up for the Dolphins, they will face Presbyterian Saturday at 1p.m. in Clinton, S.C.