JU Falls 21-9 at Duke, Stage Set for Moe's Classic

The Jacksonville University men’s lacrosse team opened up their season on the road in Durham, N. C., home of the Duke University Blue Devils.

The Dolphins struck first on a goal from senior midfielder TJ Kenary 52 seconds into the game, but were outmatched the remainder of the contest falling to the No. 6 ranked Blue Devils 21-9.

Kenary, who netted the first goal of the contest, added two more in the game along with two assists to lead the Dolphins with five points.

Duke, who was defeated in a tight match up by No. 9 Denver 14-12 on Saturday, scored five straight after Kenary’s goal, putting the Blue Devils up 5-1.

JU senior Cameron Mann put one past the Blue Devil goalie followed by the second of three Kenary goals cutting Dukes lead to 5-3.

The Dolphins would get no closer as Duke responded with goals of their own, jumping out to a 7-3 advantage. Kenary scored his final goal of the game in the second, along with a Rob Wertz goal, but JU was outscored 7-2 in the period giving Duke a 14-5 lead at the halfway point.

Also adding goals for the Dolphins were Ari Waffle, David Goldman and Brian Kensil.

The Dolphins’ next contest will be a matchup with Ohio State as part of the Moe’s Southwest Grill Classic at EverBank Field. Denver and Penn State will face off at 1 p.m. and the JU and Ohio State game is slated to start at 3:15 p.m.