Gamma Eta: Donuts for a Cure

Founded by the Pillars of Excellence with a strong purpose in diversity, unity, leadership, sisterhood, strength, and scholarship, the Gamma Eta Sorority of Jacksonville University is making leaps to help with its national philanthropy of Susan G. Komen.

The week of Feb. 4 through Feb. 7, the women of Gamma Eta will be taking orders for Krispy Kreme donuts in support of the Susan G. Komen foundation. With the hopes of spreading the word of the foundation’s mission, Gamma Eta has selected this philanthropy in hopes of spreading awareness among the student population.

The Susan G. Komen foundation was created by Nancy G. Brinker who “promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever.” Their goal is to increase early detection of breast cancer, give more hope, and ultimately more survivors.

With a goal of raising at least $300 for the foundation along with operational costs of the sorority, Lindsay Tropnas, vice president and public relations chair for Jacksonville University’s Delta chapter, chose to do this fundraiser because “it’s something that can easily be sold and college students don’t have access to receive donuts on campus.”

The sorority has done many fundraising events with the hope of raising money for their foundation. Their more notable event was in Spring 2012 when the women put on a fashion show in effort to raise funds and awareness.

Tropnas also recognizes that Krispy Kreme Donuts are noted across campus as being “fresh out of the oven” and hopes that this will give students an alternative breakfast option, while also giving back to patients with breast cancer.

Gamma Eta will be taking orders for Krispy Kreme Donuts between noon and 1 p.m. in the front of the Kinne Center until Feb. 7.

For more information on this event, contact Lindsay Tropnas at [email protected]