Dolphins Battle Past England in Triple-Overtime

The Jacksonville University women’s lacrosse team welcomed Team England to the Ashley Sports Complex for an exhibition match this past Wednesday. Following a disappointing 21-8 opening loss to No. 1 Syracuse, the Dolphins bounced back with a 12-11 triple-overtime victory over England’s best.

The two teams battled back and forth all game, exchanging the lead seven times, none more important than the game-winning goal by junior attacker Nikki Erdely that broke the 11-all tie with 1:16 left to play in the third extra period.

Erdely and fellow junior attacker Morgan Derner both finished the game with three goals, accounting for half of the Dolphin scoring efforts. Sophomore midfielder Jess Worchester forced a team-high four turnovers and picked up five ground balls. Junior attacker Brittney Orashen added six ground balls and forced three turnovers of her own.
Two late fouls allowed England to creep back into the match and tie the contest at 10. Sarah Taylor and Katy Bennett both netted shots in the final two minutes of play for England forcing overtime.
Both teams notched a goal in the first overtime period tying the contest at 11 and sending it to a second extra frame.
JU missed two golden opportunities to end the game in the second overtime period. Worchester had her shot glance the post and kick wide of the net and Erdely missed a shot on an open-net following a turnover by the English goalkeeper Cat Gaunt.
In the third overtime, Erdely was able to capitalize when England failed to clear their zone with under two minutes to play. Erdely wrestled her way through the defense netting the decisive goal in the contest.
While the win for the Dolphins does not appear in the record books, it avenges a loss to England from a year ago and gives JU a healthy moral boost following the Syracuse game.
Next up for the Dolphins is Vanderbilt. That game is set for noon, Feb. 3 at D.B. Milne Field. After that the Dolphins get a 10-day layoff to prepare for a battle with the Florida Gators on Feb. 13 at the Ashley Sports Complex at 7 p. m.