Faculty Profile: Dr. Derek Hall

Photo By: Michelle Davidson

Passion is the pulse of Academia and Dr. Derek Hall, JU Vice President of University Relations & External Affairs and Interim Vice President for Student Life, exemplifies the word in his distinctively pleasant-and-calm-to-the-world fashion. Like clockwork for some students, they make the track to his office or classroom on the third story of the Howard building seeking advice, information or to simply chat. With a welcoming attitude and desire to help students, he’s approachable by even the most reserved of people.

“He’s a laid-back individual,” said Gail Clemens, Executive Assistant for Enrollment Management. “He’s pleasant all the time and seems to be very fair with all of his employees, the people he heads up; they all like him. When they have meetings they laughing and have a good time.”

Hall has a rich history with the college system, with an accumulated 17 years as a college student due to a balancing act that included academic advancement while working full-time and raising a family. Through an internship he participated in during his junior year of his Bachelor’s program, Hall acquired a full-time job in which he excelled in for 18 years, working his way up from intern to Associate Vice President. The first fourteen of those years, he worked for President Kerry Romesburg, who at that time was the president of his previous college.

“He’s been a great mentor to me,” said Hall in regards to his connection to Romesburg.“ He is the one who brought me to Florida. He’s given me a lot of opportunities and I appreciate that.”

Hall has worked to the benefit of Jacksonville University for six years and when he is not in meetings attending to university business, his door is always open. Though he holds titles in administration and has been successful in his roles, Hall also has a passion for teaching.

“It’s all about being on campus,” said Hall. “I’ve never thought about leaving a campus. I worked at a large state institution and since JU is a private school it’s very different but it’s all for the cause I’m working for. I have friends that sell advertising, or they do software, or they work for a manufacturer. I hear them talk about their jobs and they’ll say ‘yeah, software, neat, wow’. Then I talk about our Academia product, which is students, success, and futures and I feel a lot of satisfaction in my career because of what we do.”

For the past 22 years, since he became a graduate student in 1990, Hall has taught at least one class every semester.

“In most situations I am a very reserved person,” Hall said. “I’m quiet, I sit back, I listen and I don’t put myself out there. The classroom is the one place where, for some reason, I feel so comfortable that it’s a different me. Something clicks in my brain with the sharing, helping students learn something, and helping them do better, that makes me a different person.”

Hall’s positive outreach to students has not gone unnoticed.

“He has a special connection with students,” said Clemens. “I see many students come to visit him whether it is with help that they need, for his guidance, or just to inform him what they’re doing. He’s always there to listen to them. I think he’s just a nice, rounded good guy.”

Because of his love for teaching and well-balanced personality, Dr. Derek Hall is a positive addition to the lively, connected scene of the JU campus.

ssion is the pulse of Academia and Dr. Derek Hall, JU Vice President of University Relations & External Affairs and Interim Vice President for Student Life, exemplifies the word in his distinctively pleasant-and- calm-to-the-world fashion. Like clockwork for some students, they make the track to his office or classroom on the third story of the Howard building seeking advice, information, or to simply chat. With a welcoming attitude and desire to help students, his approachable by even the most reserved of people.

“He’s a laidback individual,” said Gail Clemens, Executive Assistant for Enrollment Management, “He’s pleasant all the time and seems to be very fair with all of his employees, the people he heads up; they all like him. When they have meetings they laughing and have a good time.”

Hall has a rich history with the college system, with an accumulated seventeen years as a college student due to balancing his academic advancement with working full-time and raising a family. Through an internship he participated in his junior year of his Bachelor’s program, Hall acquired a full-time job which he excelled in for eighteen years, working his way up from intern to Associate Vice President. The first fourteen of those years, he worked for President Kerry Romesburg, who at that time was the President of his previously employing college.

“He’s been a great mentor to me,” said Hall in regards to his connection to Romesburg,“ He is the one who brought me to Florida. He’s given me a lot of opportunities and I appreciate that.”

Hall has worked to the benefit of Jacksonville University for six years and when he is not in meeting to attend to university business, his door is always open. Though he holds titles in administration and has been successful in his roles, Hall also has a passion for teaching.

“It’s all about being on campus,” said Hall, “I’ve never thought about leaving a campus. I worked at a large state institution and since JU is a private school it’s very different but it’s all for the cause I’m working for. I have friends that sell advertising, or they do software, or they work for a manufacture. I hear them talk about their jobs and they’ll say ‘yeah, software, neat, wow’. Then I talk about our [Academia] product, which is students, success, and futures and I feel a lot of satisfaction in my career because of what we do.”

For the past twenty-two years, since he became a graduate student in 1990, Hall has taught at least one class every semester.

“In most situations I am a very reserved person. I’m quiet, I sit back, I listen and I don’t put myself out there. The classroom is the one place where, for some reason, I feel so comfortable that it’s a different me,” said Hall, “Something clicks in my brain with the sharing, helping students learn something, and helping them do better, that makes me a different person.”

“He has a special connection with students. I see many students come to visit him,” said Gail Clemens, Executive Assistant for Enrollment Management, “whether it is with help that they need, for his guidance, or just to inform him what they’re doing. He’s always there to listen to them. I think he’s just a nice, rounded good guy.”