Rowing Team Rounds off Fall Season with 8 Medals

The Dolphins’ rowing team had a great showing this past weekend at the FIRA Fall Classic in Fellsmere, Fla. The men’s and women’s teams walked away with a total of eight medals to finish off their fall season.

On the men’s side, the Novice/Freshman 8 dominated the field, beating the rest of the field by 26 seconds. Freshman Angelo Santiago coxed the freshman crew of Andrew Stebbins, Ellis Harr, Garth Greene, Nathan Esterline, Scott Waitley, Tom Harrison, Anthony Rzepka and Chris Searcy to a gold medal finish.

In the Varsity 8 category, the Dolphins walked away with the silver and bronze medals, being beat only by Florida Tech. The Jckaonville University A boat finished second with senior Ben Hayes coxing the crew of senior Preston Weinard, junior Shane Kennedy, junior Scott Del Vecchio, senior Bernardas Vingilis, Greene, junior Brian Cosmillo, Waitley and Searcy.

The third place finish was by the JU B boat, coxed by sophomore David Waugh. sophomore Jeremy Sobiech, Harr, sophomore Tim Easterling, Esterline, sophomore Chase Rowe, junior Jared Low, Stebbins and junior Sean Carney rounded out that crew.

Later in the day, the Dolphins also snagged a bronze medal in the Varsity 4’s competition with Sobiech, Low, Rowe and Carney powering coxswain David Waugh to the finish.

On the women’s side, the freshman crew of Jenna Holt, Laura Stevenson, Chassidy White and Sydney Warpness propelled freshman coxswain Renee Pharis to a first place finish in the Novice 4 category. JU also entered a B boat in this event and missed a top five finish only by a few seconds.

Pharis also lead the freshman crew of Victoria Hernandez, Ashley Hirt, Julianna Welch, Stevenson, Holt, White, Fernandez and Warpness to a third place finish in the Novice 8 category.

Rounding out the girls medals was the Varsity 4 event with the crew of senior Emily Close, junior Jordyn Clary, junior Joanna Zachowski, senior Mary Mosier and coxed by senior Jordan Heylock, taking a third place finish.

The ladies also entered two boats into the Varsity 8 event, finishing fourth and ninth.

Both teams will be bundling up and preparing for the long, hard journey that is winter training for the next few months. Spring season begins on March 9 for both teams, when they will travel back to Canal 54 in Fellsmere, Fla. for the Kueper Cup.