Filed under News

Almost Missing

As Thanksgiving weekend came to a close, a brief sense of panic arose on the Jacksonville University Campus. Anthony Selgado, 26, was reported missing by his mother and roommate after failing to return to his Sarasota home for the break as planned. Unbeknownst to his family, Selgado left instead for an unannounced trip to Maryland with friends.

The search investigation was led by the Jacksonville Sheriff’s office, JSO in collaboration with the deep involvement of JU campus security, communications, and residential life.  Initiating the search, Selgado’s cell phone and vehicle were both located on campus.

Dr. Derek Hall, Vice President, University Relations and External Affairs, received the news while on his way home from an out of state family gathering. Without delay, he began conducting media relations from the seat of his car.

“We were concerned because a mother was concerned,” said Hall “…However, JSO and our campus folks were waiting until Monday to see if he returned.”

In the short period Selgado was missing, the search for him was already moving at a swift pace. The local News4Jax crew broadcasted the report on its station’s Sunday evening section. Additionally, his picture and information was posted on the Seeking TheLost Facebook page as well as the CNN iReport website.

“TV stations started calling me on Sunday,” said Hall “I told the media there would be a briefing first thing Monday morning with campus security.”

Fortunately, this proved not to be necessary. The briefing, which would have indicated further action in the search, turned instead into an announcement that Selgado had arrived safely back at JU and was unaware that anyone was looking for him.

With Selgado back within campuses borders, there is something to be said for the miscommunication mishap.  A lesson in communication has been well established that is important for students to keep in mind as the semester break approaches.

The break is coming and we just want all of the students to travel safely, be smart about their decisions and come back to us in January for another fun filled semester.

Although this experience found its way to a happy ending, it is essential for students to realize that it is not always that way. Tragedies do happen and around each student is a network of people who are concerned for them. In matters of safety, sanity, and thoughtfulness a simple phone call can make all the difference.